SOCIAL

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram Feed Email

A Roasted Tomato Love Affair

Saturday, September 28, 2013

I bought a couple of cartons of cherry tomatoes at the grocery store. Mainly because they were on sale, but also because they were pretty. Reds, and yellows, and orange... oh my! Fall on my plate.

Problem is, I wasn't sure what to do with them. I love them fresh, but not enough to pop them like candy. After all, the season has changed. It's fall now. If it's not covered in melty cheese, or spread over a rustic sourdough, or baked and carb-y and hot and cozy, I'm not eating it. (I'm only kind of joking).

In a desperate attempt to save-the-tomatoes before they went bad, I ended up slow roasting them whole for like two hours, and stirring them in with some brown rice pasta and fresh parmesan.

So good. I was pretty happy with my efforts.

So, I did the same thing a couple weeks ago -- bought two cartons of cherry tomatoes with the intention of making fresh fall-y sauce, or something super delicious to serve over pasta. Yeah, never did it. They were still sitting on my counter, so I got out my laptop for the perfect roasting recipe. The last time I roasted the tomatoes, they were really good -- but they didn't quite caramelize like I thought they would. I knew there had to be something I could do better this time.

They were still sitting on my counter, so in order to avoid them going bad, I did a quick search for some easy recipes that called for, like, two pounds of cherry tomatoes. (I overbuy, clearly).

Found this one, and I was inspired. I didn't have garlic, so I subbed rosemary and some extra salt + pepper. Mixed with quinoa, this time, and some fresh shredded parm.

Jackpot.

Perfection. Cutting them in half allowed them to cook MORE, and caramelize like I wanted. I love all things rosemary, so the added flavor of the herbs was amazing. I added the tomatoes, a splash more of EVOO and some fresh cracked pepper to quinoa, and my favorite lunch was born.

Now, when I go to the store and there are fresh cherry tomatoes, I don't hesitate. I've been exploring some more recipes to try with roasted tomatoes (any tomatoes, not just cherry!), and have collected them here for you.

You're welcome.

Happy roasting!

- Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella (by my favorite food blogger!)

QUICK RECIPE FOR ROASTING if you don't want to click the link, above:
1. Preheat over to 225ยบ, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Halve the cherry tomatoes and place them on parchment paper, skin-side down
3. Drizzle EVOO
4. Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt and fresh, cracked pepper
3. Add fresh or dried rosemary, or any other herb you love







2 comments:

  1. Girl. When I saw that picture on IG I was NEEDING the recipe, so I am so glad you shared!! My favorite pizza has roasted tomatoes on it and they are just orgasmically good (I went there.) ;) Gonna have to give these bad boys a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be visible upon confirmation that you're a real human being. :)

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger